Sullivan cross country coach hosts youth 1-mile run
Sullivan High School boys and girls cross country coach Samantha Unger and her runners hosted a youth one-mile race at the Ed Chickadaunce Trail recently. Unger said her high school runners took the young runners through a warm-up and some dynamic drills before they raced and then spread out on the course to guide and cheer on the racers.
“As the coach of these young adults, I was very proud of their support and interaction with these young runners,” said Unger. “It is not an easy mile for these young runners, with the woods trail being a part of the course. Yet, they impressed me again with some
“Jake Chastain was our overall winner for his second year in a row and Grayson Butkiewicz set a new record for the 7-10 year old division with a time of 7 minutes and 48 seconds.”
She added that the 7-10 year olds are a mighty crew for us in this race.
“The ladies (Khloye Wardell and Presley Dugan) were way out numbered in the field of boys, but they held their ground and ran some great times,” said Unger. “From those that returned, we saw some great improvement.
“It is always fun to watch the excitement these kids have when they come to race. They are just doing something they enjoy, yet it gives me much hope for the future of Sullivan’s running. I love seeing the returnees and am so excited when new faces join in. I hope they continue to run and bring some new faces with them again next time.
Sullivan youth 1-mile run
PLACE, NAME, TIME, DIVISION PLACE
1. Jake Chastain, 6:43, 1st place, boys 11-14
2. Grayson Butkiewicz, 7:48, 1st place, boys 7-10
3. Nick Brooks, 7:48.5, 2nd place, boys 11-14
4. Isaac Spurgeon, 7:53, 2nd place, boys 7-10
5. Weston Brocksmith, 8:28, 3rd place, boys 7-10
6. Emette Wardell, 8:38, 4th place, boys 7-10
7. Khloye Wardell, 9:09, 1st place, girls 7-10
8. Rory Butkiewicz, 9:15, 1st place, boys 3-6
9. Logan Chastain, 10:13, 5th place, boys 7-10
10. Presley Dugan, 10:21, 1st place, girls 3-6