Dugger elementary student council helps bring toys to foster children
Approximately 300 children are currently in out-of-home foster care in the five-county region of Vigo, Vermillion, Clay, Sullivan and Parke counties.
The Dugger Union Community School’s elementary student council decided they wanted to help the community by donating as many Christmas gifts as possible to the foster kids in the area.
“Our elementary student council has been working hard to help Mix FM 100.7 buy gifts for our area foster children,” Valerie Wells, a third-grade teacher at DUCS, said. “We have already had several gifts donated but we were curious as to whether we could reach out to families outside the school within the county …”
For those that would like to get involved, you can go to 100.7 Mix-FM’s website at https://mymixfm.com/holiday-wishes/ and browse the children's wish lists.
Here are the steps you need to take:
1. Go to https://mymixfm.com/holiday-wishes/ to browse the wish list and pick what child/children you would like to buy for.
2. Spend quality time with your child picking out the specific gift that you found on the list.
3. Wrap the gift (or the DUCS student council can wrap) and make sure to label the gift with what is inside.
4. Return the gift to DUCS. Gifts can be dropped off with Mrs. Yeryar or Mrs. Wells.
5. The student council will transport all donations to Once Upon a Child.
All gifts must be brought into the school by Friday for those wanting to participate.
“We only have one week left,” Wells said. “Gifts must be turned in by this Friday because our student council members will be taking all donations to meet Mix FM 100.7 staff at Once Upon a Child on Monday, Dec. 3 at 10 a.m.”
The students will be busy all week wrapping and tagging gift donations that need it so they are ready to be dropped off.
“We would like to thank you in advance for helping those in our community during the holidays,” Wells said. “The more donations the better!”