TOWN OF SHELBURN, INDIANA
ORDINANCE NO. 2021-6
AN AMENDMENT TO THE ORDINANCE NUMBER 2010-6, AN ORDINANCE REGULATING THE USE OF GOLF CARTS, LOW SPEED VEHICLES AND OFF ROAD VEHICLES WITHIN THE TOWN OF SHELBURN FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL PERSONS TRAVELING THE STREETS OF THE TOWN OF SHELBURN
WHEREAS, the Town of Shelburn, Indiana, ("the town") by its Town Board has determined that replacement are necessary for Ordinance Number 2010-6, an Ordinance for the regulation and use of golf carts, slow moving vehicles and off-road vehicles within the Town of Shelburn for the safety of All Persons Traveling the Streets of the Town of Shelburn, and
NOW THEREFORE, LET IT BE ORDAINED BY THE TOWN BOARD OF THE TOWN OF SHELBURN, Sullivan County, State of Indiana, beginning on the 14th day of September, 2021, replacement to Ordinance No. 2010-6 by Ordinance No. 2021-6 which reads as follows:
70.05 GOLF CARTS, LOW SPEED VEHICLES AND OFF ROAD VEHICLES.
(A) GOLF CART is defined by IC 9-13-2-69.7 as a four (4) wheeled vehicle motor vehicle originally and specifically designed and intended to transport one (1) or more individuals and golf clubs for the purpose of playing the game of golf on a golf course; and
(B) LOW SPEED VEHICLE is defined by IC 9-13-2-94.5 as a four (4) wheeled electrically powered motor vehicle with a maximum designed speed of not more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour; with operational equipment specifications described in 49 CFR 571.500; this ordinance will be extended to include four (4) wheeled gas and solar powered motor vehicles with a maximum design speed of not more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour; with operational equipment specifications otherwise described in 49 CFR 571.500
(C) OFF ROAD VEHICLE is defined as by Indiana Code 14-8-2-185 as a motor vehicle capable of cross-country travel. For the purpose of this section 3 shall be called VEHICLE unless otherwise stated.
(D) It is unlawful to operate a golf cart, low speed vehicle or off road vehicle on the streets or alleys of Shelburn except when all the following requirements are met:
(1) The vehicle operator must have a valid vehicle driver license in his/her possession;
(2) The vehicle must be inspected yearly by the Town Marshal.
(3) The owner, lessee or operator notwithstanding, of the vehicle must provide proof of liability insurance in an amount not less than provided in state statues for motor vehicles operated on public a thoroughfare in the State of Indiana; and
Proof of liability coverage on vehicle must be carried by the operator at all times while the vehicle is operated on town streets or thoroughfares.
(a) The inspection fee is $25.
(b) The inspection decal shall be placed on the rear center of the vehicle.
(c) Inspections are not transferable.
(d) Inspection fees will be deposited in the Continued Education Fund of the Town of Shelburn; 2011 S-14 Traffic Regulations 4A
(e) Inspection stickers from other municipalities are not transferable to the Town of Shelburn.
(4) The golf cart must have a slow moving vehicle device or a flashing yellow light mounted on the rear of the vehicle;
(5) The low speed vehicle must have all equipment, in good condition, as stated in IC 9-13-2-94.5;
(5) The vehicles must have in good operating condition:
(a) Head lamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps and stop lamps if the vehicle is in operation on the streets from sunset to sunrise;
(b) Interior or exterior rear view mirrors;
(d) Muffler (if gasoline powered); and
(e) Low speed vehicles shall have seatbelts as mandated by IC 9-13-2-94.5
(f) All vehicles shall have a Vehicle Identification Number.
(6) The operator shall obey all traffic laws and regulations pertaining to any vehicle on the streets;
(7) The vehicle may not have more people on board than the vehicle seating design allows for. The driver and passengers must be seated in those seats while the vehicle is in motion; and
(8) The vehicle must be driven as close as feasible to the right side of the street to allow passing of regular vehicle traffic.
(9) Golf carts, low speed vehicles and off road vehicles may be operated on town streets or thoroughfares on which the speed limit is thirty (30) miles per hour or less except otherwise prohibited by ordinance or State Statue.
(E) Traffic signs shall be posted at entrances to the Town of Shelburn. The signs shall declare:
GOLF CART, SLOW MOVING VEHICLE AND OFF ROAD VEHICLES TRAFFIC REGULATED BY ORDINANCE.
Person guilty of violation of this ordinance shall pay a fine of $100.00 in addition to court and legal fees to be paid to the Clerk/Treasurer of the Town of Shelburn within 30 days of issuance of a uniform traffic ticket by a law enforcement officer of the town. Fines collected for violations of this ordinance shall be
09-20-2021 – 1t hspaxlp