Lady Arrows advance to sectional final
For the second time this season, Sullivan earned a win over West Vigo.
On Wednesday in the opening match of the girls tennis sectional at Terre Haute North, the Lady Arrows edged West Vigo 3-2.
“It was even closer than it was the first time,” said Sullivan coach Wes Kirk, whose Lady Arrows improved to 16-5.
Annie Smith won in straight sets at No. 3 singles.
“They were closer at three singles this time and Peyton Sisil was closer at two singles,” said Kirk. “Annie was down 4-3 in the second set and won the final three points to close out the match.
“At one singles, Kaitlin Whitford beat Abbie (Pirtle). Kaitlin just does not give away any free points.”
Sullivan’s doubles teams of Brooke and Courtney Lueking and Sydney Greggs and Lexi Baker also prevailed in straight sets.
“Our doubles teams were very consistent,” said Kirk.
The Lady Arrows will face Terre Haute South, who defeated host North 5-0 on Wednesday, at 5 p.m. today in the sectional title match.
“South is the best team I’ve seen all year,” said Kirk. “It will be a tough test for us.”
Terre Haute North Sectional
Sullivan 3, West Vigo 2
1. Kaitlyn Whitford (W) d. Abbie Pirtle (S), 6-1, 6-0
2. Ellie Easton (W) d. Peyton Sisil (S), 6-3, 6-4
3. Annie Smith (S) d. Caitlyn Wyrick (W), 6-2, 6-4
1. Brooke Lueking/Courtney Lueking (S) d. Savannah McCoy/Lexea Hendricks (W), 6-1, 6-2
2. Sydney Greggs/Lexie Baker (S) d. Keegan Beeler/Alena Charters (W), 6-3, 6-2